Some concepts are challenging to accept in a “classic fantasy” setting yet given proper context can be wellsprings of fascinating stories and pathways to new gaming experiences. The android race for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is instantly evocative of hard Science-Fiction concepts. That said the word android is just that, a word. If a group struggles with them as a genre at consider utilizing a different name for them. Whatever the label, the possibilities of the android race for your stories are too fun to ignore…
Rapid Shot: Androids
A quick overview of the android‘s racial abilities can be found here. From its dual-nature as both humanoid and constructs to its ability surge the energies of its bodies, this race is interesting for GMs and players alike for dozens of reasons. Let us consider a few:
- Immunity to Fatigue and Exhaustion – Wow. Need someone to stay up all night ready to fight those adventures no matter when they are encountered? How about work all night without a break? From the ultimate in guards (see more below) to the best slaves a BBEG could dream of. And what adventuring party wouldn’t want someone always able to keep watch… assuming your could trust them.
- Immunity to Fear and Emotion Effects – Need a chronicler who will unflinchingly watch events? How about a guard who never experiences panic or fright? If an adventuring party is planning a fear synergy then an android is a safe bet for a PC who can navigate the auras.
- Resistances – “+4 racial bonus on all saving throws against mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, and stun effects” so many bonuses to things traditionally Will-weak classes like fighter and rogue are so bad at, the race can be an excellent choice to ramp up the resistances of the local forces or for a PC that is a little less vulnerable.
- Reincarnated Host/Shell – The concept of reincarnating shells is a VERY interesting one. While androids may except this transition and rebirth in the form of an android that existed prior to them within the same form, most other races will struggle to understand it. The Srarborn Champion is still the Starborn Champion right? What do you mean he has only a single level of fighter? He was the most powerful magus of legend right? What do you mean Fallen One’s body has a new soul? He tortured hundreds trying to understand humans right?
- 3rd Party Support – Jon Brazer Enterprises has expanded favored class options and more options for the race beyond what Paizo has printed in their Bestiaries and Iron Gods. Definitely worth checking out!
- And last but NOT least…. Nanite Surge – This has to be one of the best racial abilities around. “3 + the android’s character level on any one d20 roll” is generally spell-worthy and not low-level, this can be used to save the android’s life or lockdown an important attack or check. It really can’t be argued with.
Regardless of feelings one might have about the word, the reality of androids as a force to breed stories, challenges and amazing heroes is hard to deny. Re-skin as the Created, the Unborn or something else similar and let the surging swords slice the sky!
Android still to Sci-Fi for your table? Try our created race, the Bloodborn. You can also pre-order the Book of Beyond WIP subcription or see our other products at: d20pfsrd.com, drivethruRPG, paizo and RPGNow.